Categories: Sustainability Strategies, Indoor Environment Sectors: Owners, Occupiers, Developers, Builders, Designers, Facility Managers
Arup has been named CitySwitch National Signatory of the Year for its Fortitude Valley, Queensland, tenancy.
The firm achieved a 4 star NABERS energy rating through equipment upgrades, lighting retrofits and installation of office televisions that display the amount of energy, water and paper currently in use by staff.
Judges Ed Palmisano (Property Council of Australia) and Suzie Barnett (Green Building Council of Australia), commended Arup – saying the innovative use of existing technology to generate real-time data is no easy task.
Arup developed the system to allow employees to monitor their use of energy, water and paper, plus and carbon emissions from air travel. The system also displays public transport information and data on the number of computers turned off overnight.
Staff involvement was a key component for success says Martin England, ARUP Principal and acting office manager.
“This outcome is a reflection of all our staff and their commitment to understanding and reducing their day-to-day energy consumption,” England says.
Education programs employed by the firm include a “Be an energy hero” campaign and an internal competition that saw office floors competing against each other in a race to reduce energy consumption.
CitySwitch has also named other award winners from across Australia.
CitySwitch 2011 winners around the country:
- Arup (Queensland) − CitySwitch National Signatory of the Year
- Ernst & Young (Victoria) − CitySwitch New Signatory of the Year
- 135 on King − CitySwitch Signatory of the Year under 2000 sqm
- Norton Rose Australia - CitySwitch Signatory of the Year over 2000 sqm
- Energetics − CitySwitch Signatory of the Year under 2000 sqm
- Arup – CitySwitch Signatory of the Year over 2000 sqm
- Cundall − CitySwitch Signatory of the Year under 2000 sqm
- Department for Communities and Social Inclusion - CitySwitch Signatory of the Year over 2000 sqm
- Public Transport Ombudsman − CitySwitch Signatory of the Year under 2000 sqm
- Ernst & Young − CitySwitch Signatory of the Year over 2000 sqm
- Lavan Legal − CitySwitch Signatory of the Year over 2000 sqm
Ezine editorial contact: